Monday, June 02, 2008

Home

We are home. Emily and I headed up Saturday morning to my grandparents cabin. Its in a little town about an 1 1/2 hours away, the cabin is fairly close to the river too, makes for some gorgeous views. I will start off by thanking the Lord for His protection. Issue number one: While unloading the second four wheeler (ATV) the ramp slipped and fell, thus leaving the four wheeler hanging about 4-5 inches off the ground. Tried and tried to lift it back up on the trailer. It was resting right at the base of the axel and the guard plate, not good for trying to move something. Finally went down the mountain to another cabin and got some help. Issue one: fixed. Issue two: hot brakes. *sigh* lol. Emily had never really been on a four wheeler, so she didn't know to release the brake I had set. Its something that if you didn't know much about the four wheeler, you would miss very easily. I had set it because that area it very hilly, and I didn't want to play "chase the fourwheeler." However I forgot to RELEASE the brake when we actually started to ride. We got down to where the road curves to head up to Packer John (thats a camp) and I sorta smelled hot brakes but not to strong. We turned back as it was getting sorta late and I didnt want to be riding in the dark. I stopped again cus I kept smelling hot brakes... I looked at my four wheeler and it was fine, then look at em's and saw that it was still set. Then looked back to see the rear brake smoking. Lovely. I was freaking, here I am borrowing Dad's four wheelers and I am already messing them up on the first day. After releasing the brakes, we rode back up to the river and then the temp light came on. I started freaking out more, thinking of cracked blocks, messed up heads, so on...rode my four wheeler back to the cabin, left em at the other one, got the truck and trailer and came down to load up what we thought was the hot four wheeler. Only to realize...*total duh moment* that when you turn the key to on position, and before you actually start the four wheeler that the temp oil light automatically comes on. By this point, I was ready to go home. It was very daunting for me...I have always had my dad, then Damon to take care of me when we went and did things like this. Not that I am a wimp, or not used to country life or living...but I have had someone there to reassure me and help when things went wrong. Emily was in a new element and I was the one put in the position to take care of things. She did really well, and got pretty comfy on the four wheeler after day one. Back to being scared, it was hard being the one in charge, and actually made miss Damon even more. I missed feeling protected, but then I had to remember, I have God. He's all seeing, and more powerful than Damon or my Dad could ever be, I had to keep reminding myself that. That was Issue two, and thank the Lord it got taken care of too! Sunday started out waaaaaaaaaaay better. We went to the little mountain church at the base of the mountain, they were very sincere, and it was nice to meet new people. After that we went into cascade and got some groceries that we had forgotten after buying the day before we left. We had to REBUY ...grr Kasey...lol. We got pizza for lunch, YUM. It was sooo good. Then we came back to the cabin and rode the four wheelers for a bit longer, and it started to RAIN RAIN RAIN. We were riding back and it started to rain fairly hard, brrr. It even hailed at one point. Needless to say we went through about 5 movies that night. Oh and we had a fire each night, so relaxing. I love the smoke smell when you go outside. Something about mountain air and smoke. They should make candle if they could ever make it smell real. I would buy that baby up! Now to Monday, today...we got up and had waffles, again...had them for breakfast the Sunday too. I made fried eggs, YUM. We started cleaning the cabin up, then rode for another couple of hours I think. Maybe less. Came back, had sandwiches, finished cleaning. Loaded the four wheelers, without any ramp issues. Made our way for home about two o clock and here we are. It was a good long weekend. I am glad to be home, though them there mountains, sho nuff is purty! ;) like that english of mine!?!

1 comments:

Tam said...

Sounds like you two had fun, minus the mishaps, of course. ha!

love ya!