Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Emergency Room Update

For those of you who know and don't know. I had to drive Damon to the ER this morning. He had been having some trouble off and on all night. Well this morning I thought about getting up and praying for him and I didn't. Next thing I know I am getting out of the shower and he is getting ready to go to the ER. So I called into work and drove him. The Lord had His hand on Damon for sure. I have NEVER seen him this bad. It was awful and I was terrified of losing my husband. TERRIFIED. The humanistic side of me feels absolutely helpless. The Jesus side of me can pray, and pray/begged I did. Damon did not want to go to Summitt hospital because of their treatment of us in the past. Well, this experience was no better. I was so upset, yet trying not to be rude! After parking the truck, I found Damon in a room shaking from lack of being able to breathe. Then we had to wait another 15-20 minutes to get a breathing treatment. I myself had to get a nurse doing something else to help him SOMEHOW! She hooked him up to the oxygen. About 5-10 minuts after the first breathing treatment started they brought the steroid shot. Not to mention part of the staff was rude. I dont mean to be over dramatic, but this is MY husband, who CANNOT breathe and is very bad off. Yet it was turtle pace! God had to keep him alive during that time. We left the ER after two breathing treatments and some steroids at a little after 11. Right now he is resting on the couch and I am thinking about the fact I fly out in two days to leave him. pray for him and for me and us. This was very scary for me, and I wouldn't mind never having to relive this again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Kasey,
It is me again, Gracie's Aunt Marcy in Arizona. I would just like to respond to your last post. I am praying for yourself and your husband Damon. God hears and answers our prayers.
I wanted to share a little something with you two, an experience I had several years ago.
I suffer from asthma myself, I have since I was a toddler. My asthma seemed to be gone from the time I was 13 to the age of 22. It was at this time that I began suffering from asthma again. I really didn't know when I should go to see the dr's as far as the attacks were concerned. I would use my inhaler, take hot showers, dring black coffee, all the home remedies to try to combat the attacks. When my oldest baby had just turned one, I got sick with my asthma, I asked my husband if I should go to the hospital, he said, "I don't know how you feel", so I, trying to save money and take care of my baby, decided to try and stick it out. I was so sick, I could not walk across the floor, I would stop and lay down to get the strength to make it all the way across the floor. After nearly a week of being sick, I called my mom one evening and asked her, "mom, when did you know it was time for me to go to the hospital?" As soon as she heard my voice and the gasping between each syllable, she said, Marcy, it is past time to go, go now. Long story short, I went to the hospital, they would not allow me to leave. My oxygen saturation was worse than an 80yr old man with emphyzema, the dr said I was lucky I made it there alive, I would not have lived another night. I ended up in the hospital for a week, without my one year old baby (which was terribly hard - the first time I was away from her at all). I learned then, don't mess around with asthma, God gave the dr's wisdom and if we pray and ask God for answers, and do what we are instructed, including preventative meds and treatments, we will be in a lot better shape. I am soooo grateful the Lord gave me the opportunity to live, to have another baby, and see my children grow, they are now 15 and 17. Please be attentive to your husbands needs as far as the asthma is concerned (which I can tell by your conversation that you are), and encourage your husband to take care of himself so he will be around for many years to have a family and a very fulfilled life with you. If you would like to email me you may if you have any questions. my email is marsnrandy@msn.com. God Bless You. Sis. Marcy Doerfler
p.s. I am not trying to scare you, I just want you both to know this is serious stuff.

Rachel said...

I am so glad that Damon is ok! I would not have wanted to be in your shoes, I can only imagine how scary it was. I've been praying and I know that Brad's mom has been praying ever since she got the e-mail from your mom.

Erika J. said...

I've been wondering about him. I used to have asthma and it is definitely scary not to be able to breathe.

You did the right thing in being firm with the hospital staff. They are there to help, especially in those type of situations and if they aren't doing their job properly, then there is nothing wrong with stepping up. I would call and complain. He shouldn't have had to wait.

Kasey said...

I appreciate all the comments/prayers/concern. :)

Sis Marcy, I have tried to make Damon understand how important his asthma is. It's not just him anymore, he now includes a me. I don't even want to THINK what it would be like without him.

Rachel- KEEP PRAYING!

Erika- I have thought about calling and complaining. But would it do any good. I wish there was some way for them to get the picture that their attitudes were awful and not the least bit helpful.

The only helpful ones were the nurse who helped him and wasnt supposed too, the respiratory nurse when she actually got there and the Dr. They were nice, just SLOW.

~Amy said...

I'll be praying for him, Kasey. I'm really glad he's ok now.

I get a little perturbed when customer service is truly bad, too. And I don't think you were be overly dramatic because, as you said, this is your husband you're talking about. Take care.

Unknown said...

Kasey,

I'm praying. Love you.

and a beautiful template.

m.