Sunday, June 14, 2009

June 14th, 2009

So a few weeks ago, my friend Sylvia asked me to be with her in her delivery room. She felt like I had a way to getting in her face and getting her to focus. Ha, imagine that. Me, in your face?? ;) Anyway, this was a VBAC and she was a bit nervous about complications, etc.. It was just to be her husband, Sylvia, and me. Needless to say, having never seen a live birth and not really knowing a whole lot about the birth process, I was nervous myself. But I knew I needed to be there for my friend. After a false labor on Friday night, we assumed it probably would be Monday sometime as she was only dialated to 4 and the contractions were highly irregular at best. Well, last night around 10:00 PM I got the call that her water had broke and they were admitting her to the birthing unit. So I got my stuff ready and headed that way. I got there shortly after 11 and labor really seemed to pick up from there. Her goal was natural. I had to keep her focused on that goal. She didn't really like me at a few points, as you can imagine. She received only one does of something through her IV to take the edge off the contractions, but no epidural. I had people praying, because as I said (even though, its NOT about me at this point) I was nervous I would even know what to do and how to help. The Lord really came on the scene. All credit goes to Him. Not only did He help me, but He delivered Sylvia of all her fears and gave her a beautiful birth. She went from a 4 to a 10 in a few hours and hardly had to push and little Sophia was born at 3:54 am weighing 7lbs 10oz. She is a beautiful baby girl, with lots and lots of hair, and looks a lot like her big brother. The nurse said I was a great coach, and I could definitely be a Doula. And you know what, that's God, and I am so thankful. I read a little book, had what i saw from baby story, and some knowledge of what I saw from a beginning of labor with someone else, that was it. HE helped all of us in that room. I am so thankful that God loves and helps His children!! Welcome Sophia!

2 comments:

Grace & Co said...

Birth is one of the most amazing things you can ever witness. I would love to be a midwife. It's one way God shows us how amazing He is.

Rachel said...

That is so awesome, Kasey! What an amazing experience for you.